In my continued quest to find the perfect fast, tasty, and healthy breakfast option, I’ve come up with great savoury solution. You can see my first option, a more sweet one, here. I’ve been thinking about making breakfast muffins for awhile, but it wasn’t until a friend tipped me off on a recipe she uses from Blogilates, that I decided to give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised that the recipe didn’t require any special ingredients, and was completely customizable. So I made my own, and they were amazing. Originally I followed the recipe exactly, but now have been making my own variations on it.
My favourite additions are:
-freshly grated parmesan cheese
-bacon, cooked to a crisp first
-shallots & mushrooms that I pre-pan fry before adding to the mix
-topped with smoked salmon
Now what I do is make a big batch one night, and then pop them into the fridge. For me, one breakfast serving is 3 muffins, which equates to 2 eggs. I then have a super quick breakfast for on the go for the next few days! Genius. Here’s my version:
Breakfast Egg Muffins
Ingredients (makes 12 muffins, or 4 days of breakfasts for one):
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 4-6 cherry tomatoes
- handful of fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 onion
- 8 eggs
- salt + pepper
- 100 g smoked salmon
1. Chop up all the veggies, and mix them together in a bowl
2. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs together. Add a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
3. Divide vegetable mixture evenly among 12 silicone baking cups.
4. Pour egg mixture over veggies into baking cups until almost filled to the top.
5. Bake at 350 F, for about 25 minutes, or until cooked all the way through.
6. Let cool slightly before topping with smoked salmon. If refrigerating, add smoked salmon just before serving. Enjoy!